Thursday, January 13, 2011

Carbing Up in 2011

Hello again, blogpeeps!

It’s day 4 of Snowpacolypse 2011 here in Georgia, and I have to say I’m very much looking forward to Saturday’s 51 degree weather.  Snow days are just no fun when you work for a company based out of Buffalo, NY.   Most of the Midwest and Northeast have levels for snow emergencies (levels 1 through 3; 3 meaning work is canceled).   For a city to declare a Level 3, three things must happen:  1. 10+ feet of snow must fall.  2. Temperature must be lower than -20 degrees.  3.  The Abominable Snowman must eat the mayor, declare himself ruler, and announce the emergency.  Needless to say I’ve never had a work snow day, and my employers showed no sympathy for our 2 inches of snow.  

However, this is not the only reason I want the snow to melt.  

Now, I’m not one for New Year’s Resolutions.  I usually make one, but I wouldn’t exactly call the goals “lofty”.  Last year’s resolution was to not go to Vegas, hit a 5.5 million-dollar jackpot, spend all of my riches on fancy cars and exotic pets, and end up in jail for tax evasion.  This year's resolution was to buy a pair of pajama jeans.  But I decided I needed to make one more resolution after getting winded dancing with my 4 year old (he’s REALLY into techno music, I’m a little concerned). My second New Year’s Resolution is to get into shape- more specifically run a half marathon in 2011.  Because the thought of exercise makes me want to shove hot pokers in my eyes coupled with the fact that I am ultra-competitive, I think a race will motivate me.  If I can somehow make exercise have anything to do with winning a glorious 5 dollar plastic trophy, then I’m more likely to actually do it.  

I’ve entered my first 5k set for March 19.  Originally I planned to enter a half marathon scheduled for March 20th, but decided maybe I should start a little smaller and work my way up.  So far my exercise routine has consisted of our living room techno dance parties, and eating pizza/cookies everyday to “carb up”.  I think for now, 5k is more my speed.

So let’s do this, Georgia!  Let’s get this ice melted so I can start running!  And to any of my neighbors who may see me passed out on the side of a golf cart path- if you could just nudge me to the side so I don’t get run over, it would be much appreciated.

TTFN,

AMo

No comments:

Post a Comment